Before I get started I just want to say that I know some of this information may seem un-scientific or too out there for many folks but believe me when I say that I have spent the last 5 years of my life (since my mom got breast cancer) studying and synthesizing information in order to determine which are the most effective tools for boosting immunity and encouraging healthy cellular function.
My training comes from a traditional foundation in chemistry, biology and anatomy / physiology @ McMaster which then led me to study at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition as well as through innumerable podcasts, articles and documentaries.
The best source I’ve found for all things Cancer is The Truth About Cancer by Ty Bollinger and team who recently released their Global Quest for the Cures online summit which I highly recommend everyone watch.
When dealing with such an expansive and complex topic as cancer there are many things one can consider. Typically these fall into the categories of diet and nutrition, chemical exposure / detoxification, and emotional / mental trauma.
This article is meant as a summary and guide towards different tools rather than an in depth exploration of any of them as those are provided in the various links.
Cancer as a Metabolic Disorder
There is a emerging and well proven theory that looks at cancer as a metabolic disease, that is, an adaptation to environmental conditions that give rise to tumor proliferation.
Cancer is a normal response to a chronically acidic, high sugar, low oxygen, damaged environment – exactly the kind many modern folks have created through the way they eat, breathe, move, think etc.
That being said, here are a few things that offer what I believe to be the greatest bang for your buck in terms of preventing cancer cells – which we all have at some level – from multiplying uncontrollably and developing into a tumor.
1. Optimal Nutrition and Metabolic manipulation of energy sources. Optimal nutrition means supplying the body with therapeutic amounts of things like antioxidant vitamins and minerals like A,C,E, Selenium and Zinc as well as trace minerals and phyto chemicals found in plants. Optimal Daily Allowance need to be the reference as opposed to the outdated and flawed Recommended Daily Allowances that are on our food labels. To deal with the stress and toxicity of modern life high dose nutrition is essential. things such as IV vitamin C, B vitamins and glutathione (Meyers Cocktail) are safe and efficacious though currently still expensive and not readily available from most doctors.
This basically boils down to starving the cancer cells of there preferred food (glucose) so that they stop growing and can be properly dealt with by the immune system. the best way to do this is through getting your body into a state of ketosis (fat burning) which allows your healthy cells to continue to function while cutting off the fuel supply to the cancer cells. Some of the experts in this regard are Dr. Thomas Seyfried and Dr Dominic D’Agostino. Experts explain that a yearly 1 week water fast is sufficient to allow the body to scavenge cancer cells and can serve as an effective preventative.
A perhaps more accessible and daily approach one can use is to adjust their diet and lifestyle to be in ketosis for periods of hours or days or weeks and then break that up with times of increased carbohydrate from low GI starches and berries. Carbs are believed to be needed in part to maintain immune function and mucous membrane integrity and without any for long periods of time ones health can get worse.
Note: unless you are a well-trained expert in health or nutrition you are advised to consult with a coach who can help you adjust your diet and ease you into ketosis as it can be quite rough and take anywhere from a few weeks up to 6-12 months before your metabolism has adapted to the new energy production pathways. A couple ways to hack this are by using XCT Oil, Brain Octane Oil (for even more ketone producing power) and powdered ketone supplements – such as KetoCaNa – so that whereas before someone would have to either fast for 24 hours or eat very low carb for a few days to get into ketosis. Now through fasting, light activity such as walking or biking and MCT or ketone supplementation that process can be much smoother and faster than ever before.
If you need a visual guide as to what a serving of fat looks like then check out this article “What Does 30 g of Fat Look Like?” by my favorite Keto Company.
2. Increased Detoxification: Letting go of the innumerable toxic chemicals we are exposed to today is an extremely important part of cancer prevention and the best ways to do this are as follows:
Hydrate: drink at least 1/2 your body weight in lbs in oz of water each day and ensure that your water is either Reverse osmosis or distilled with minerals added back in or comes from a clean spring or is filtered in some other way. Structured water is ideal and actually hydrates better and exhibits anti-inflammatory potential greater than unstructured water. Structuring can be done with a whole house unit, in a special water bottle, or by adding a product such as oral IV.
Sweat: Sweating and saunas are one of the absolute best ways to let go of excess toxicity, a far infrared sauna is one of the best and home units are becoming more and more available. Last week I bought a portable one from the Whole Life Expo that includes an ozone generator which further increases the amount of oxygen in our bodies and contributes to a healthy immune system. Ozone or oxidative therapy is used across the globe but has been maligned and shunned by most North American Medical Professionals regardless of its safety and effectiveness for preventing and treating an incredibly wide range of illnesses.
A book called the 4th Treatment for Medical Refugees details Thermotherapy for Cancer and shows how cancers, bacteria and viruses and heat intolerant and so by using non-invasive methods like a sauna or a Biomat we can help improve outcomes without any added side effects and ultra expensive therapies.
Liver / Gallbladder Flush: The liver is the main detoxification organ and because of our modern environment most of us have an over-worked and under-nourished liver. One of the best ways to help it out is by taking nutrients which support detox such as vitamin C, Selenium, Vitamin E, Curcumin, Silymarin (from Milk Thistle), N-Acetyl-Cysteine etc. (Here’s a diagram of the liver pathways and the nutrients they require for detox, note it does not contain a complete list of nutrients that are beneficial for the liver)
3. Practice Gratitude: Studies continue to show that some of the happiest and healthiest individuals are also the most thankful and socially connected and that being in a state of thankfulness and supported by a community that is similarly grateful can do wonders for longevity. It can reduce stress hormones, increase endorphin’s and bolster the immune system all by how we think and speak words of thankfulness whether it be through prayer, writing in a journal or talking to friends and family.
4. Practice Forgiveness and Integrating Past Trauma: forgiveness is another powerful practice that can promote a healthy mind/body for life. Starting with ourselves we forgive our mistakes and past failings and move forward with confidence and positivity. Forgiving others is also a big step towards health and freedom.
As the buddha said “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” this is true when we hold grudges against those who have wronged us, it just ends up hurting ourselves.
A great resource for this is a book and program called The Presence Process: A Journey into Present Moment Awareness
5. Practice deep breathing and move your body. Movement is essential to health in many ways but the most widely known is due to its effect on circulating lymph which helps to detox toxins, transport fats, and rids the body of cellular debris. The only way lymph moves are when we do so make sure to move as much as you can, jump on a rebounder, use a whole body vibration platform, skip rope, dry skin brush etc.
And the second part of that being the deep breathing. Most of us are shallow chest breathers yet the majority of our potential oxygen comes from deeper within our lungs and is accessed through expansive diaphragmatic breathing. People who are concerned about pH levels and go around buying every supplement and superfood in hopes of becoming more alkaline often miss out on what’s easiest and most effective when it comes to changing the bodies pH and that is through the breath. Wim Hof is a master of this and has demonstrated scientifically the benefits this sort of practice can have.
Another thing to note is that the quality of your air is likely not great so including many houseplants and a HEPA air filter system can go a long way towards breathing the cleanest air possible in your home environment.
To Summarize: Supply your body with optimal intakes of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements, limit sugars, increase detoxification and oxygenate your cells. If you can make these into daily habits then cancer has little chance of ever becoming an issue.
If you have already been diagnosed with cancer and have had it confirmed positive with additional testing (never rely on only one test for something as serious as cancer) than your best bet is going to be to work with a Holistic Nutrition Coach / Functional Medicine Practitioner or, ideally, a team of integrative practitioners in order to completely overhaul your environment, lifestyle, diet, and supplementation regimen while addressing the emotional and spiritual aspects that are usually intertwined with the dis-ease.
If you’d like to discuss your health symptoms you can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a complimentary call online or by phone.
Stay Optimal and Be Well,